The program entitled “Engaging the community for the protection of GBV survivors and women at risk in Kara Tepe”, is implemented by the Diotima Center with funding from UNICEF, for the period October 2020 – January 2021.
The program concerns the prevention and to tackle the gender-based violence in the new camp of Lesvos, in which refugees were relocated, after the devastating fire in the Reception and Identification Centers (RIC) in Lesvos.
The main goal of the program is the identification, registration and provision of psycho-social support to GBV survivors and women at risk of gender-based violence, by a team of specialized professionals (coordinator, psychologists, social workers, interpreters, social scientists, child animator).
At the same time, its purpose is to empower women refugees and adolescent girls, through workshops and actions, to avoid secondary victimization and their smooth social integration.
Finally, it aims to strengthen the skills of professionals working with the refugee population to recognize and respond to incidents of gender-based violence.
The key actions
- Communication with community activities (CwC), such as workshops, focused discussion groups, group activities, etc. with the participation of GBV survivors, women at high risk of GBV and adolescent girls residing in the new camp
- Interventions of two SGBV mobile teams in the new camp, for the registration of the population,that is facing gender-based violence or is at high risk of GBV, the provision of psycho-social support and the referral to the appropriate services.
- Training of professionals working in the new camp (social workers, NGO executives, etc.), regarding the basic concepts of gender-based violence, first aid for mental health, etc.
- Strengthening the existing gender-based violence management team of the Diotima Center in Lesvos, with the aim of responding to the increased needs.
- Strengthening refugees, survivors, adolescent girls and strengthening their autonomy and solidarity within the community
- Development of a referral mechanism to competent bodies
- Improving the knowledge, practices and skills of professionals working in the new camp